Friday, March 2, 2012

The Red Sea

So it has been a while since i last updated and actually this story happened last weekend but I've been busy with school and homework and other things that i have not yet managed to talk about my trip to the Red Sea and St. Anthony's monastery, which is considered the oldest monastery in the world. More on that later.

So I never realized how close the Red Sea was to Cairo it only took us about an hour and a half to get there by bus. The International Students Association (ISA) took us there for free (although i guess the got money from the school which gets money from our tuition so not completely free). It was a great time Ain Sukhna is mostly just a tourist location for Egyptian locals and i dont kow if you really could call it a city. Where we were it was mostly just hotels and beach and houses. Nothing really to do other than to relax by the Red Sea. I was surprised when we made it to the beach. I do not think i have seen clearer waters i mean even further out at sea you could still sea straight down to the bottom. The water was crystal clear. The only problem was that i managed to forget my camera back in my room. So all these photos come from people i know. I have to thank them again.

We also then spent a bit of the day on Saturday touring the monastery of St Anthony which as i said is considered the oldest monastery. apparently St Anthony was the first monk, he decided one day to give up all his possessions and went to live in a cave above where the monastery would eventually be built. It was a very nice and quiet place. With some amazing scenery.



My friends managed to only take photos of me when i was not ready...


No comments:

Post a Comment