Thursday, May 24, 2012

Coming to a Close

So let me start off by saying the past week i did a lot of sightseeing to the areas in and around Cairo (including the Pyramids) and around Sinai. Although they were fun it was very much of the same thing. Haggling, relaxing, sitting in awe, and of course enjoying my time. The photos will do a that justice.

My friend Sam and his Camel

Pyramids at Giza

Sphinx and the Pyramids

The Blue Hole at Dahab

We went Snorkeling. I did not have any actual swimming trunks so i just used my shorts.

Safa and I rode on the back of the pickup truck because well its funner in the back.

The gulf of Aqaba (or seomthing like that) the one close to the right of the Sinai Penninsula

On top of mount Sinai watching the sunrise.

They say Moses hiked up here to talk to god.

In the distance you can see the monastery of St. Catherine which is one of the oldest monasteries around.

What i really want to write about i guess is what I think I've learned. Its been hard to come up with the exact words for what it is but one thing is for sure i know that i have discovered some things about myself being in a place so very different than home. I think Egypt above all has taught me respect and perspective. Respect? I know it seems so very simple that concept that people have been trying to teach us since we were children but it is different here. Respect is a quality I think we like to talk about but very few people really have and you notice it when you arent in a familiar place surrounded by things you like and enjoy. I mean there are things people here do that i would just be outraged by at home, or things i do which create the same effect among the Egyptians. Its not just differences in cultures, traditions and societies. Its hard to describe but i have to say I think the world could do with a little more respect.
With respect i think comes perspective which is why i think i said i learned a little bit of both. One thing is for sure although i do not think i could ever live in Egypt full time there are many things that im not happy about in the country ranging from the way the throw things away (or lack there of) to the way people act around foreigners and women. Although, there are some things that i think are lacking everywhere else in the world that can be found here in Egypt, despite how rude people can be i have also never thought so many complete strangers could be so nice. Its this weird world of contradictions and i think its that actually that im upset with. That the students at AUC are both the ones on the street protesting the corruption in the government but also sometimes are blatantly cheating on their tests. That both strangers can be so very helpful and offer food and shelter to strangers but, these are the same guys who harass women on the streets for dressing certain ways. Dont get me wrong Egypt is not a horrible place but as with every country, person, and household there is always room for improvement.
For the past 4 months i have lived in a place that well is not really regarded as a welcoming place for tourists. Not anymore at least. Through unrest, revolution, and struggling i do think there is going to be change here in Egypt. I do think the Arab spring has changed the Middle East for better, i remain hopeful that the people within these nations are not that much different from other nations. They want peace, security, and a stable job to feed their family. Its not as full with extremists as the news would sometimes have you think. I'm glad i was able to go out and see a whole different (yet still so very familiar) world with my own eyes. Egypt has been worth it. All the friends and incredible people i have met maybe i will never see again, which however depressing that sounds, i cant be happier. I think ill leave this home away from home happy and sad. One thing is for sure ill have to be back one day. I'm so very lucky to have this opportunity and if anyone reading this is ever wondering to study abroad or go see something out there in our small (huge) world go and do it.


Its been fun Egypt.

1 comment: