Sunday, January 29, 2012

First Day of Classes

So although exploring the city and meeting people has been a lot of fun i also came here to study. My 8:30 am Arabic class reminded me of that. But what i didnt realize was the fact that today is Sunday and therefore all of today i was reading my schedule incorrectly... Which was great when i finally found out. Tomorrow I wont miss any classes thats for sure. As my profile on the side of this blog says im a Civil engineer and also a Global Studies major. Civil engineering is kind of split up into 3 groups (kind of) transportation, structural, and hydrology. Im hoping to mainly focus on the latter which is water distribution and sanitation that kind of stuff. While global studies is a major which focuses on globilzation which is the easiest way to describe it but also one of the most confusing. Globalization is easily described by a quote i found which says globalization is the study of how the world just seems to be getting smaller and smaller while the population just keeps growing and growing. Its not the best way to describe it and people will of course argue that there are better definitions but its my easy way of not spending pages on trying to define one word.

While in Egypt, since i feel that engineering is engineering everywhere, i will mostly focus of the globalization part. So economics courses, political science, an anthropology course as well. This should be a lot of fun and compared to my engineering workload i think i will still have a lot of time to get to explore Cairo and see what i want to see. So the courses are one great thing about Cairo but also the people. Students on the AUC campus are almost too friendly. They dont want to let you be alone it feels. I dont know maybe im lucky but if im ever sitting alone random people come talk to me or someone from a previous class or some of the international students. It always surprises me how nice some of these people are. I might be speaking too soon so ill knock on wood. But i think ill enjoy my time here.


Also i have to say im not sure if people even read this. But if you want me to talk about certain things please feel free to email me. jrp214@aucegypt.edu or leave comments. If you want to tell me im boring thats fine too. I just have trouble trying to find things to write about. everything is so different how can i really tell you about every little thing i see or here throughout the day. Ill try to also be more regular with my updates. Im thinking Tuesdays and Fridays. Until next time.


P.S. Its rained 3 times. That's 3 times to many for this to still be called a desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment