Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Gone With The Wind

First off I have to say I've never done something like this before. Sharing my thoughts and feeling with a seemingly faceless crowd on the internet never really appealed to me but when study abroad contacted me and said hey we need students to blog I though why not try and start now. Also I've never actually read Gone with the Wind but I have seen the movie on VHS with my mom one too many times. I just thought the title was a fancy way of saying Im leaving the United States today for Cairo, Egypt.

I've never traveled alone. Well apart from traveling from Colorado to Pennsylvania but that is easy. I know the language i have cash usually with me I know where I will sleep once I get to each place and also I know how to contact someone if something were to go wrong. But traveling alone to Cairo... That is a different story. I really don't know Arabic. Anyone who says they understand a language after a single class or an intro class for a semester is just fooling themselves if they think they understand a foreign language. I'm not sure if i will get from the airport to American University in Cairo. I dont know how to contact someone for help if im stuck at customs.There are all these little things that are freaking me out. Also lets face it im not going to safest country in the world and big cities are always dangerous. But that is not what frightens me about going. (well it is but not completely)

What kind of scares me is that what if this wont be as amazing as I hope and think it will be. That's what scares me. But I guess the only way to find out is to go and do. I've wanted to go to Egypt since as long as I can remember. I guess i spent to much time being fascinated by ancient egypt as a kid.(I watched the mummy and Prince of Egypt way too many times...)((i mean that wasnt the only reason believe me i did much more than just that to obsess over egypt)). I feel as if the only time i really will get to visit this country is now. It is a lot harder to go from the United states to the middle East than to Asia or Europe or South America.. So as a student i thought it would be a free easy pass. 

Anyway this is probably way to much text and me rambling for anyone to read. I'll be sure to make future posts much more colorful with photos from Cairo and of course much more interesting once I get to the country. For now i have 3 Plane rides and 4 airports to go through. Ill talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment